Human Health and Wellness includes the active component of our lifestyle and focuses on health, safety, and mitigating negative trends such as obesity and over-sitting. Actions in this section are focused on ways to encourage healthier lifestyles through better nutrition, activity, and interactions.
Relationship to Existing Plans/Initiatives:
Health and wellness are more of foundational principles than specific focus areas for most plans. However, there is mention in Vision 2020 of active, healthy lifestyles and actions that support that concepts are embraced widely, and in particular by the Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Advisory Board.
- Provide access to healthy living services for all residents in need.
- In-town transport will be predominantly person-powered
- Continue to develop the community center as a focal point for wellness
- Eliminate exposure to environmental toxicity
- Provide ample opportunities for responsible recreation
H. Emergency / Health Care Industry - #NedZero #UrgiHealth
- 8H-01: Increase local capacity to provide emergency health services including heart emergencies and vector borne diseases
- 8H-02: Investigate the location of pharmacy in the community
L. Live Well Colorado- #NedZero #LiveWellCO @LiveWellCO
- 8L-01: Encourage efforts to cultivate, support, and relieve stress from the demands of the Nederland‐area volunteer community.
- 8L-02: Identify strategies to enhance fitness, cultural arts, multi‐generational, and family programs through contract instructors, partnerships, or volunteers.
M. Walkable Scale Mobility - #NedZero #Walkable
- 8M-01: Encourage more multimodal streets and street diets; discourage expansion for increased traffic.
- 8M-02: Identify needs for ground‐level trail lighting (e.g., Community Center Connector Trail, Tungsten Trail) and find funding for installation and maintenance.
R. Local Resources - #NedZero #LocalResources
- 8R-01: Support the Community Center and area recreational groups such as RINK in providing recreational opportunities for local residents
- 8R-02: Explore a partnership opportunities for community access to a pool, or to build a community pool.
U. Enhance Human Services - #NedZero #HumanServices
- 8U-01: Develop a strategic health plan to improve health throughout Nederland
- 8U-02: Develop a monitoring program to ensure that vulnerable members of the community have the opportunity to raise an alarm if their health is compromised
- 8U-03: Develop alternatives for substance abusers in conjunction with the police