Community fabric consists of the diverse strands that make up the Nederland Community and refers to the ongoing maintenance and attention to each strand so that the whole remains durable, respectful, and effective. The actions in this section include community assessments, wisdom and elders, governance, information dissemination, sharing efforts, and inclusivity. It also includes the physical connections overseen by the Parks Recreation and Open Space Advisory Board as they relate to physical connections and community interactions.
Relationship to Existing Plans/Initiatives:
This section relates to the bulk of items in Vision 2020 that include a rich community with a highly functioning governance model, diversity, support for community members, as well as the physical connections to the outdoor environment. The idea of an inclusive effort to determine the appropriate path forward is at the heart of this document as well as included within most of the plans that have been written for the Town.
- Allow each member of the community to be able to get the information they need, share their opinions in a respectful forum, and have a say in the overall direction of the community. Have an annual community sustainability forum where members of the public and Town governance follow an inclusive process to evaluate the preceding year’s efforts and establish the actions for the following year.
- Continually improve the quality of services provided to the community in terms of education, support and culture
A. Housing Needs - #NedZero #HousingNeeds
- 2A-01: Complete community housing needs assessment
- 2A-02: Meet regularly with County Housing and Human Services group to identify needs and resources for affordable housing in Nederland (Social Service)
D. Community Dialog - #NedZero #CommunityDialog
- 2D-01: Provide information on ride-sharing and transit options for the area
- 2D-02: Survey residents about current and future transit needs
- 2D-03: Determine the most appropriate sustainability evaluating tool and use it as part of the annual objective/goal setting process (will vary by board)
- 2D-04: Include sustainability in annual goal-setting meeting
- 2D-05: Hold joint work sessions periodically between all of the Town's Advisory Boards
- 2D-06: Interview community members and elders to chronicle their thoughts on Nederland now and in the future, to foster the Community Storybook conversation.
- 2D-07: Investigate complementary models of representative democracy to better represent the community within the Town governannce model
- 2D-08: Implement policy of bi-directional goal setting initiated by the Board of Trustees requesting specific assistance from advisory boards to meet particular goals and recieviing feedback form boards on what goals they have
- 2D-09: Develop interactive web-based community forums for sustainability
- 2D-10: Draft resolution for Board of Trustees requiring on the record responses to formal comments raised by advisory boards under defined circumstances; e.g. response to sustainability scoring of projects by Sustainability Advisory Board
- 2D-11: Improve availability of PROST information
- 2D-12: Town leaders meet regularly with administrators of Library, Community Center, and Teen Center to ensure all opportunities to utilize are being identified
G. GIS Database & Land Use Data - #NedZero #GIS
- 2G-02: Identify opportunities for informal pathways and connections in neighborhoods; secure easements where appropriate and identify opportunities to create more permeable neighborhoods in the GIS
- 2G-03: Create Safe Routes to Schools GIS layer
- 2G-04: Update maps for existing trails, trail opportunities and constraints, and proposed trails.
- 2G-05: Create a "Bike and Ped Friendly Nederland" map that describes safe bike routes and locations of bike parking in Nederland, including walking trails between neighborhoods and central town.
- 2G-06: Identify, map and describe all historic resources in Nederland. In conjunction with the local and state historic societies, seek funding for the preservation of these assets.
- 2G-07: Identify urban and non-urban wildlife corridors with the assistance of local neighbors and trained ecologists/biologists and include in the GIS database.
H. Emergency / Health Care Industry - #NedZero #UrgiHealth
- 2H-01: Develop support for a medical clinic in Nederland
- 2H-02: Develop emergency preparedness plans by neighborhood district
J. Sustainable Logistics - #NedZero #Logistics
- 2J-01: Investigate shipping centralization for businesses; a central unloading depot and smaller local transport to end uses as opposed to larg box trucks throughout town
- 2J-02: Update Muncipal Code Chapter 16, Article VIII, Off-Street Parking and Loading to reflect recommendations of Town Board Ordinance 707
- 2J-03: Adopt one or more of the Transition Principles at the Town Board level
- 2J-04: Evaluate Visitor Center vs. Comp Plan and SAP to ensure alignment and meeting visitor needs
K. Parks Management - #NedZero #Parks
- 2K-01: Stregthen Adopt-a-Park Program
- 2K-02: Evaluate PROST Master Plan Actions on an annual basis to determine timelines and feasibility
- 2K-03: Complete maintenance / management plans for all Town parks and recreational assets, paying attention to ADA compliance.
- 2K-04: Select standard designs for trail signs, interpretive signage, kiosks, benches, picnic tables, etc.
- 2K-05: Complete Trails Master Plan Update
- 2K-06: Continue of the Adopt A Planter project for the Downtown area
M. Walkable Scale Mobility - #NedZero #Walkable
- 2M-01: Develop ride-share specific internet forums and track usage
- 2M-02: Provide forum for transit users in the Nederland area and track usage
- 2M-03: Restore and refurbish bikes and provide to community residents to provide for increased mobility and access
- 2M-04: Work with NedPeds project to create safe non-motorized pathways connecting important nodes in Town
- 2M-05: Create a "bike library" for visitors and residents
- 2M-06: Work with CDOT to optimize traffic flow through town.
- 2M-07: Identify needs for safe roadway crossings (e.g., near Community Center) and seek funding for appropriate crossing solutions (that could include underpasses or overpasses).
- 2M-08: Include preliminary engineering for a traffic and engineering study of the intersection of SH 119 and Lakeview Dr for improvement of traffic flow.
- 2M-09: Pursue a detailed analysis and evaluation of the feasibility, funding and construction of a second crossing of Middle Boulder Creek. In conjunction, develop a back-up plan to respond to emergencies on the highway bridge, and the potential expansion of the informal weir crossing.
- 2M-10: Use the Commonplace Boulder Tool to assess the current and future needs of Nederland pedestrians, for a walkable scale community.
- 2M-11: Investigate community vehicle sharing programs
O. Open Space Management - #NedZero #OpenSpace
- 2O-01: Gather public input regarding needs for additional area trails and linkages.
- 2O-02: Partner with groups such as the Mountain Youth Corps, Nederland Area Trails Organization (NATO), and Wildlands Restoration Volunteers to repair and maintain local trails.
- 2O-03: Collaborate with the U.S. Forest Service and Boulder County to identify and improve desirable trail linkages.
R. Local Resources - #NedZero #LocalResources
U. Enhance Human Services - #NedZero #HumanServices