As a related pair, the energy consumed in Town directly relates to the emissions that affect the climate. This includes transportation impacts, energy supply questions, and energy delivery. As a comprehensive issue, many climate issues are addressed directly in the Built Environment section as well as other sections to some degree or another. The Climate and Energy section include actions aimed at resiliency and climate change preparedness, modifying emission intensive behaviors, and seeking to become as energy efficient as possible.
Relationship to Existing Plans/Initiatives:
The actions in this section relate to Vision 2020 goals of fuel-switching and non-motorized travel, and are supported by the Comprehensive Plan as well as a number of initiatives from various boards and the Nederland Downtown Development Authority.
- Move Nederland to a no-carbon electricity supply model.
- Provide practical opportunities for all community members to choose low or no carbon transportation options emanating from Town.
- Move Nederland to a low or no net carbon heating supply model.
- Provide real-time information on community wide carbon emissions and actions for community members to take in order to lower them.
- Achieve carbon neutrality for all Nederland operations
D. Community Dialog - #NedZero #CommunityDialog
- 6D-01: Convene an Energy Alternatives Advisory Board to plan for the next opportunity to revisit the Town’s lease with Electricity Providers and help shift the Energy Supply to lower to no carbon based
G. GIS Database & Land Use Data - #NedZero #GIS
- 6G-01: Consider options for purchasing land within the downtown district for parking PODS in conjunction with the Townʼs parking plan.
- 6G-02: In conjunction with the Land Use element of the Comprehensive Plan, identify and map locations within town that would be ideally suited for the siting of alternative energy generation and conservation demonstration sites, such as solar arrays, wind turbines, water collection/re-use, and community gardens.
I. Master Infrastructure Plan - #NedZero #Infrastructure
- 6I-01: Install a varaible frequency drive on the Big Springs booster pump to replace the fixed-speed motor to cut down on energy consumption
- 6I-02: Establish transportation energy use baseline for greater Nederland Community
J. Sustainable Logistics - #NedZero #Logistics
- 6J-01: Achieve carbon neutrality for Nederland Town Operations
- 6J-02: Establish Energy Baseline for Town operations, including transportation and process loads (water treatment, etc.)
M. Walkable Scale Mobility - #NedZero #Walkable
- 6M-01: Increase utilization of the Climb Peak to Peak Shuttle
- 6M-02: Increase utilization of electric golf carts or similar as a means for lower carbon local transport
- 6M-03: Provide Eco-Passes for all town residents
R. Local Resources - #NedZero #LocalResources
- 6R-01: Investigate a bio-deisel production facility and/or options for increasing fuel switching to bio-diesel for as many town operations as possible
- 6R-02: Install electric vehicle charging station(s) with potential for conversion to solar charging
- 6R-03: Investigate a solar gardens project for Nederland residents